I’ve read maybe 20 chili recipes in preparation for making this dish, so I can’t cite any one specific source. I can say that Serious Eats and Food Wishes were the biggest sources of my inspiration. So… There’s that.
I’m not going to link those because it’ll just be confusing. I’m going to write down what I’m doing today, and probably tweak in the future. So here you have it – Micah’s Chili
- 3 lbs chuck, cubed into 2″ pieces.
- One whole white onion, diced into ~1/2″ pieces
- One bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 Tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp jalapeno powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 cup tomato pure
- Kidney beans (15 oz can, drained)
- Cannellini beans (15 oz can, drained)
- 1 bottle of Harpoon IPA
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Water as needed
- S&P to taste
- Mix chili powders, cumin, paprika, jalapeno powder, salt and pepper. Set aside mix.
- Sear chuck. 1/2 of the pieces get 2 sides seared, the other half gets one side only. Set aside.
- Saute onions until translucent, add garlic after 2 minutes.
- Add spice mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add meat and mix in with onions.
- Add beer, oregano, and cocoa powder. Bring to gentle simmer.
- Add tomato, stock, beans, and pepper. Bring to simmer.
- Simmer on low for for 3-1/2 – 4 hours, or until meat is fall-apart tender.
Food Wishes and Damn Delicious
I’m marrying two recipes for this. I used a slow cooker (DD) but all ingredients, brazing technique, etc. was taken from FW. I also added the lime from DD, along with some dried chipotle peppers. It was good. Goooooooood.
All Day – slow cooked on high 5 hrs. I broiled for 10 minutes, but 8 may have been better…
Edit – I also took chunking the meat from the FW video. I didn’t braise the butt whole. I really think this helped with both cooking and finishing this dish.
Pork and apples. A classic flavor combination that can be accessed in this quick(ish) and easy (no ish) one-pot recipe.
A light 90 minutes, including prep and resting.
Look – I think we can agree that carrots and celery don’t belong in pasta sauce. But I subbed in some bell peppers and jalapeños… switched out dried herbs for fresh oregano, basil, and thyme… Added some red pepper flakes, more salt… Ok, I really fucked with this recipe, BUT I followed the general phasing and theory. Worked good. Flavors.
Could be 60 mins, could be all day. Depends on how much you want to simmer. More simmer, more flavor.
I’ve been looking for the pizza-hut type pan pizza. Remember how they tricked us into reading by feeding us that delicious shit?
Overnight Dough, so all day.
Not enough tenderloin on here yet. Why? Because I’m a bad person.
I’m thinking 90 mins with prep… More if you make your own chutney…