I’ve read maybe 20 chili recipes in preparation for making this dish, so I can’t cite any one specific source. I can say that Serious Eats and Food Wishes were the biggest sources of my inspiration. So… There’s that.
I’m not going to link those because it’ll just be confusing. I’m going to write down what I’m doing today, and probably tweak in the future. So here you have it – Micah’s Chili
- 3 lbs chuck, cubed into 2″ pieces.
- One whole white onion, diced into ~1/2″ pieces
- One bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 Tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp jalapeno powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 cup tomato pure
- Kidney beans (15 oz can, drained)
- Cannellini beans (15 oz can, drained)
- 1 bottle of beer
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Water as needed
- S&P to taste
- Mix chili powders, cumin, paprika, jalapeno powder, salt and pepper. Set aside mix.
- Sear chuck. 1/2 of the pieces get 2 sides seared, the other half gets one side only. Set aside.
- Saute onions until translucent, add garlic after 2 minutes.
- Add spice mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add meat and mix in with onions.
- Add beer, oregano, and cocoa powder. Bring to gentle simmer.
- Add tomato, stock, beans, and pepper. Bring to simmer.
- Simmer on low for for 3-1/2 – 4 hours
Great dessert, great cast iron recipe. quick and easy. Looks beautiful. What more could you want?
Amazing mix between a pie, cake, and lemon custard. Serve cold. Diet after
120 minutes with crust work
I screen-shot the recipe – Forgot to source (Sorry!)
Peanut butter cookies with a chocolate finish. Dough great for freezing! I drizzled on with a spoon. Easy to overcook – so watch out!
90 mins with finishing and cooling.
Food Wishes and Damn Delicious
I’m marrying two recipes for this. I used a slow cooker (DD) but all ingredients, brazing technique, etc. was taken from FW. I also added the lime from DD, along with some dried chipotle peppers. It was good. Goooooooood.
All Day – slow cooked on high 5 hrs. I broiled for 10 minutes, but 8 may have been better…
Edit – I also took chunking the meat from the FW video. I didn’t braise the butt whole. I really think this helped with both cooking and finishing this dish.
Some good tips here. Both on apple pie and just pie in general.
No timeline – this isn’t a recipe
Pork and apples. A classic flavor combination that can be accessed in this quick(ish) and easy (no ish) one-pot recipe.
A light 90 minutes, including prep and resting.